04 September 2026

'Salem's (a) Lot

When I was driving drugs for a few years, I was listening to more audiobooks than I had ever before in my life, and was able to revisit Jerusalem's Lot again in anticipation for the release of the new adaptation in the Fall of 2024.  

True to form, I read it again, but still haven't gotten around to watching the movie, despite it sitting on My List on HBOMax lo these many months...

'Salem's Lot (1975)

On this re-read, I was struck by how dense this book is.  It's certainly not the doorstop that King will release in the '80s (It, The Stand, etc.), but the story just reads slow to me - that's what I had always thought of it since I first read it around the age of 12 and found the mass market paperback on my brother's bookshelf (he in turn had found it on a shelf at Jerome & Shirley's lake cabin - an unlikely find from that source).

On this reading, I think it's that just not that much happens in the story for the number of pages it takes up.  The plot occurs (except for the bookends) over the course of just a single month (September 5 - October 6, 1975), and King spends so much time exploring all the little peccadillos of the townsfolk - it is a rich picture of a small town to be sure, but (I suppose just like in an actual small town) just not that much actually happens.

Sure, kids die, go knocking on windows of other kids, and people drink and eat dinner and maybe play badminton, but the actual conflict - the battle of The White versus the forces of The Black (or the red? The Crimson?) - takes up very few pages compared with all the rest.  I was shocked to re-read the final battle and how quickly it's just done and dusted with Barlow.

Father Callahan is the character I am most familiar with from this novel (thanks to his after story that we learn of in Wolves of the Calla), and I think the most surprising thing to me on this re-read was the fact that the unkind thought he has at one of the Glick boys' funerals is nowhere to be found, even though he reads it in the version of the book that he finds and reads from Calvin Tower's collection.
(8.8.26 - 8.31.26)

No comments: