14 October 2010

you asked for it...

you, specifically you, Dave Wake...

and you got it.  Roman Numeral J is back, for better or for worse.  It will aim to be a regular, stumbling, but vital contribution to the blrld at large... That's right, the blrld (blogosphere/world) - And so i begin with friendship...

(This is not us) - Source: Flikr
Friendship is such an easy idea to capture I figure I may as well spell it all out for us here.  Modern life deters us from formulating new relationships, new friendships. 

I've never been, and am not, as a rule, good at friendship.  It's not that I don't value it, I do (above almost all else), it's that I tend to assume it, and then inherently believe in it, and then that's it.  In the status-oriented world that we live in (the Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter-verse), we all expect to be touched.  In fact, as the consumer beings that we are thought of (homo decoro?), marketing theory tells itself that 3 to 7 touches are necessary to make an impression.

*  *  *

This post was almost entirely fully finished (or at least formed) on the original writing, but returning to close up the draft in October 2017, it feels continually, significantly true.  I love this picture - it's something I found somewhere on the internet (evidently on a Flickr account).  It's nobody I know, but recalls a time that Dave, Nate and I went to a costume party in Copenhagen as a pirate, cowboy, and Zorro (in particular reverse order).  That night ended wonderingly,,, and was a great night in connecting.

No comments: