12 January 2014

Another, Better Four-Year

It's been four years since the massive earthquake destroyed much of the capital city of Haiti.  News outlets love anniversaries and there have been plenty of retrospective 'where are they four years after' and 'where did the money go' articles popping up over the last few days, so I don't want to spend a lot of space here railing against the injustices the West has done to Haitians since goudou-goudou (and the injustices Haitians themselves continue carrying out against other, poorer, Haitians).

My Sunday started off strangely, with my wife's clock radio going off at the usual early weekday time, and hearing the voice of my friend and mentor, Patrick Bellegarde-Smith, speaking to me from the darkness.  He had been interviewed on the show On Being some years ago and was rebroadcast this morning.  The interview is fascinating and a useful primer on Haitian Vodou, but hearing the words spoken pre-earthquake

Resilience is not always a virtue...

*   *   *

9/20/2017
Returning to this post some years later, I don't quite know what it was meant to be about, but I had tagged it "travel", and had been to Haiti in late 2013.  I think i thought to provide some commentary on the progress (or lack thereof) from the time of the disaster, and a bit of the socio-economic and political superstructure that contributed to the depth and complexity of a "natural" disaster like this one...

Here's a video of me driving around Haiti!


No comments: