08 November 2016

Calm Before Die Sturm

I grew up in a small town, and went away to college in a slightly larger small town.  Since that time, I've mostly inhabited cities - mostly what would be described as small cities, but all vast metropolises to me - and I wonder sometimes what I am missing sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss


*   *   *

November 8, 2017
Returning to this fragment from a year ago, I think i know what i was thinking about when i premised this post.

It's been


*  *  * 

February 2020
Well, shit - it's now New Hampshire primaries night in 2020.  I have no idea what this post was originally going to be about, but the timestamp tells me that i had only just recently learned that #donaldJtrump had won the presidency of the united states.  I remember, i was staying up, and Brooke had gone to bed. 

I told her late that night, but it wasn't until early the next morning when she had woken up, and i told her that a sex criminal had been elected...

Sturm und Drang is a noble literary tradition from around 250 years ago (i think that's what the title was thinking about)...  As i read the first posting from 2016, i think what i was wondering was why my fellow cosmopolitans so fundamentally misunderstood the appeal of Donald Trump.


No comments: